A couple of weeks ago we kicked off a discussion of “Session 0”. Now let’s see a more concrete example of how it works in real life…
Session 0 in action!
An example of a rules modification we use in our 5E game is an alternative healing rule as we use the healing rules from Classic D&D. You heal 3 points if you have a relaxing day with a good rest. 1 point if you have a busier day with a decent rest. 0 points of healing if it was a hectic day with little to no rest. These rules grant the Clergy a little more power in regards to healing.
The group should try and create a caste-balanced party.
Let me give some examples from my groups.
Group – Weekend Classic D&D
- Dominic – Human Padre (Diamond Dragon)
- Talon – Human Joatar (Thief)
- Brayden – Dwarven Rune Priest
- Robert(II) – Human Padre (Diamond Dragon)
- Glenn – Human Geomancer(Earth Elementalist)
- Cassie – Tiefling Warlock
- Dennin – Sollux Sun Brother(Cavalier)
- Kieto – Human Prestidigitator(Arcane Trickster)
Group – Weekday 5E D&D
- Robert (I) – Gnome Arcane Trickster
- Robert (II) – Human Assassin
- Brayden – Human Weapon Specialist (nee Human Paladin changing for playtest)
- Rebecca – Elven Warlock
- Jason – Elven Brother of the Greenwood (Ranger)
- Derek – Jaka Druid
- Amanda – Human Padre (Freya – Life Domain)
- Keito – Human Bard
- Sophie – Kender Handler
If you look at the composition of both groups, there is at least one of each of the 4 major D&D Castes – Clergy, Warrior, Brigand, and Sorceror.
I discussed with them that it is my world Kavallor, on the continent Bluthryvn, in a nation called Drachensweald, in the cities of Ocean’s End and New Lyre’s Gate respectively. After that I gave them a description of the nation and the current status that characters would, or at least could know.
The next piece of information they received was that the orcs, goblins, bugbears, and kobolds appear to be working together and are stirring up more trouble than usual. Rumours are swirling that there may be some unifying force getting them to aggressively work together.
They also heard other rumours…
- war brewing with another nation
- an uprising in the works
- a group of rogue assassins causing problems in New Lyre’s Gate
- a legion of Celestial Cavaliers awoken after 1000 years of sleeping while polymorphed into trees
- a possibly abandoned Dwarven Mine full of weapons
- and a minor ruler appearing to have gone rogue
I felt that was a good start of rumours and with the rest of the information I gave then they would have direction until at least level 15 and the possibility of higher levels with more expansion during adventures.
This may sound like a lot of effort but it really is that easy – and it will make a difference.
Clear skies fellow GM’s and players – until next time!
Keith R. Byers, A.Sc.T., Esq.