In my last post, I chatted about some of the difficulties I was having with Divine magic and how rituals fit into the mix.
Warrior, Rogue, & Mage has a few different parts to the magic system. You have Mana, which is the magical energy a caster can use to create a magical effect. You have a personal spellbook containing spells from the various Circles of magic. Each higher Circle basically provides a bit more gusto for your effects. Add to that the concept of Enhancements, which are basically Mana-fueled power-ups, and Rituals, which allows a single caster to cast higher level spells when in a group.
Seems pretty reasonable doesn’t it?
However, as per usual, I seem to have painted myself into a box and created artificial boundaries. I was so happy that I found WR&M that I used it to build a new set of walls around myself. The rules are great, but I found myself wondering how to shoehorn a few things in.
Today I was reminded by Corvus that you have to take a risk sometimes – or as he put it – “No guts, no glory.” 🙂
As a result of this FACEPALM moment, it came about that perhaps these aren’t walls at all, but doors instead. And maybe it’s time for a little remodeling. The upshot is that for Divine spells of the priesthood I’ll end up with three or four Circles of spells and a 5th Circle of ritual-only spells that can’t be cast by a single caster. I won’t know for sure that’s going to be the final approach I’ll take for Divine magic, but it’s a start. And with a little playtesting, I ought to see any kinks that show up.
Once I get Divine and Superstitious spells fleshed out a bit, I’ll need to do some serious playtesting anyway.
So that brings me to the second part of this ramble. Would anyone be interested in a WR&M campaign online in an IRC chat one night a week? I’m thinking with one session for a couple of hours a week, we could explore the port town of Rivergate and see how the rules work in the setting.
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
- How to Extend Rituals in WR&M (moebiusadventures.com)
- IW:Rivergate – Superstitious Magic, WR&M-style… (moebiusadventures.com)
- Arcane Background: Occultism – Preview (Savage Worlds) from Nevermet Press (nevermetpress.com)
- Exalted – Terrestrial, Celestial, and Solar Spells from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Rethinking Magic Users 2 from Rolang’s Creeping Doom (rolang.com)
- A Fantasy Arms Race from The Red Box Blog ” RPGs (theredboxblog.com)
- Eclipse d20 – Nullfields, Antimagic, Dismissal, and Arcane Overloads from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- New Laws of Magic: Unique and Evocative Magic Systems in RPGs from Age of Ravens (ageofravens.blogspot.com)