Lately I’ve been hung up on the concept of the traditional “dungeon” in RPGs. Sure, occasionally we might explore the maze of tunnels beneath a castle that actually was a dungeon – meant for the trapping and torture of individuals who worked against the royal folks who lived in the castle itself – but how long has it been since any of us actually did that? I don’t remember the last time, unless it was in a computer game.
So it got me thinking… What other types of dungeons are there?
- Actual dungeons beneath a castle
- Catacombs beneath a church
- Steam tunnels running beneath a building complex, such as at a college
- Storage complex
- Buildings buried by earthquake, volcano, or flood
- Underground cave complexes
- Subterranean lairs
- Battle trenches
- Water supply conduits
- Smuggler’s tunnels
- Animal warrens
- Root or wine cellars
- Sea caves
Any of these sound interesting to explore? Let me know in the comments and I’ll detail one using the crazy Moebius methods you’ve come to know and love… 🙂